Outages & Emergencies

Hay River Flood

Learn about ATCO's response to the flood, FAQ's, links to various community resources and information for evacuees

Hay River Flood Update

The Hay River and Kátł’odeeche First Nation emergency has transitioned from response to recovery. 

Communities are the lead on response and recovery activities and are supported by the GNWT as needed. 

Territorial and Regional Emergency Management Organizations are activated and providing resources for planning, coordination, and emergency management and recovery operations. 

Assessments are now underway in Hay River and Kátł’odeeche First Nation. 

All impacted residents are strongly encouraged to register as soon as possible so that they can be included in the current assessment work. 

To register, or for any questions you have about the process, or if there are issues you are having in making your claim, please contact GNWT pathfinders: 

  • directly in the community
  • by email at flood@gov.nt.ca
  • by phone at (867) 767-9161 ext. 21031

Registration is strongly recommended to anyone who has had their property or business impacted regardless of insurance status so that assessments can take place. 

We are here for you

While our main office remains closed to the public until further notice, we have set up a temporary office located at #1 & #3 Spruce Road (across Diggerz and right after Home hardware at the industrial area). If you have any questions, our team can be reached Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm or by calling 867-876-1003 or 867-876-1006.

We know that this is a very difficult and stressful time and understand that you may have questions. We will continue to share information as soon as it becomes available, and we appreciate your patience as our team works hard to ensure residents can safely return to the community as quickly as possible.


Download a space by space checklist for returning home safely after a flooding.


Can I return to my home now?

Most residents are permitted to return home. However, the Town of Hay River asks all residents to carefully consider if returning now is their best choice. There will be no water or sewer service to large parts of the community.

Before you decide to return, identify the colour zone in which your residence is located. Check the state of infrastructure in your zone before leaving your current location. If you live in a yellow or orange zone, you will find restrictions on availability to water and sewer services and/or other public utiliites and infrastructure and the likelihood is higher that you may find damage to your property.

Will I be billed for the time that my power is off? 

No - our rates are based on usage and consumption, so there will be no charges applied during the time your power is shut off. 

When will you be reconnecting my electrical service? 

To ensure the safe return of power to customers impacted by the floods, Northland Utilities will require permission from the GNWT Electrical Inspector to reconnect service. 

Can you send someone over to check out my property?

Northland Utilities does not provide property inspections inside the home. Customers will need to contact an electrician to complete an assessment. 

I just got home and found out that my power is off and my home is flooded. What should I do next to get power? 

If you are returning home to flooding, we strongly encourage you to check out the Returning home safely after flooding checklist to ensure you are keeping yourself safe and healthy. 

If your property sustained flooding, owners will need to contact an electrician to complete an assessment before occupying. To ensure the safe return of power, Northland Utilities will require permission from the GNWT Electrical Inspector to reconnect service. 

I heard that Northland Utilities is pulling meters. Are you pulling out my meter? 

Customers can reach out to our customer service team for specific details on whether or not their meter is scheduled to be pulled. We have set up temporary phone lines and our team can be reached Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm by calling 867-876-1003 or 867-876-1006. 

How can I submit claims for damages?

A GNWT pathfinder has been set up. All residents who incurred property damage should register with them to begin assessment, emergency repairs, and gain access to disaster financial assistance. More information is available here

It is suggested that property owners take pictures of their property damage and contact your service company prior to any repairs.